Frequently Asked Questions

First-Year Registration Questions

First-Year Preparation Courses and Programs

  • What is First-Year Seminar in Science?

    The First-Year Seminar in Science is an innovative course given in the Faculty of Science that is designed to jump-start you in your academic career in science by exposing you to teaching styles, concepts and research opportunities that are normally reserved for upper-year students. We hope that you will find NSCI 1000 both interesting and challenging, and we will work with you to make your experience of NSCI 1000 as rewarding as possible.

Residence Questions

  • When Does Move-in Start?

    The 2024 Residence move in date will be Thursday, August 29th to Sunday, September 1st. For the most up to date move-in information please visit the Moving In website. Students are assigned a time and date to move in (usually in July) and must adhere to this schedule unless they make other arrangements with Housing and Residence Life Services.

    For more information on housing, contact Housing and Residence Life Services.

  • Residence and Moving Away from Home

    Moving into Residence can mean experiencing a lot of new firsts such as moving away from home, a new city, and having roommates. It can be scary and it helps to be prepared. For a list of what you can and cannot bring when you move in, check out this Packing List. Take some time once you arrive to explore campus and find out where to get food, where your classes are, where you can find resources on campus, visit the library, and find Health and Counselling. Take a map with you or ask around. People are friendly at Carleton and are more than happy to point you in the right direction. Also, take a day or two to explore downtown Ottawa and learn about your new city.

    Moving into residence also means meeting and getting to know your roommates. Be patient and open-minded when you first meet them and remember that they're in the same boat as you; they're in a new environment and are nervous and excited too. Get out of your dorm room and get to know them over a cup of coffee or a walk by the river. Play 20 questions, ask them why they chose Carleton and their program, and learn what their schedule and study habits are to know what to expect once classes get underway.

    If you're an international student, or even from a different province, Ottawa's climate can be quite a change. The temperature can get to -40°C in the winter months, and +40°C (with humidity) in the summer months. It's a wide range and pack accordingly. If you're not used to the cold, make sure to invest in a good quality winter jacket and winter boots as well as a hat, scarf, mitts and warm socks. A pair of skates can be bought or rented to go skating on the Rideau Canal, the world's largest skating rink.

  • What are my Meal Plan Options?

    Meal plans are available but all dining locations on campus will also accept cash, credit or debit transactions. If you are living on residence, a meal plan may be included in your residence cost. Check here to find out more. If you are off-campus, there are also meal plan options for you found here.

Orientation Days

  • When and What is Summer Orientation?

    This year, Summer Orientation takes place on Fridays and Saturdays during August. With six sessions in total, each one-day Summer Orientation session is designed to promote the student’s personal academic success and individual development. Students will participate in a series of informative presentations, receive a campus tour and learn from student leaders about their experience as students at Carleton within the day.

    Visit for more information. 

  • When and What is Fall Orientation?

    Fall Orientation usually happens during the end of August and into the beginning of September and includes tons of fun activities for which students can choose to participate. For more information visit

  • When and What is Academic Orientation Day?

    All first-year students are required to attend Academic Orientation Day (AOD). The date for this year's AOD will be Tuesday, September 3rd. The schedule will be announced in August. For the most up to date information please visit the AOD website.

Awards and Financial Aid Info

Students can estimate their tuition and miscellaneous fees for the upcoming year, find out how to pay and see payment dates and deadlines at

On-Campus Services

  • Visiting Campus Info

    Guided campus tours are available Monday through Saturday. They can either be booked online at Book a Tour or through Undergraduate Recruitment at (613) 520-3663.

    Accommodation is available on campus for anyone from May to August. There are also a variety of hotels in Ottawa. Go to Visiting Ottawa for more information on planning an overnight stay in Ottawa.

  • What is my Campus Card and U-Pass, and how do I get them?

    You can pick up your Campus Card and U-Pass at the Campus Card office.

    While you are a student here, your Carleton Campus Card will be the single most important piece of student identification you possess. With your campus card you can pay for dinner, photocopy notes, print documents, buy snack food and borrow books from the library, with just a simple swipe of the card! Campus Cards are available from the Campus Card Office. You can apply online for your card or pick it up in person when you arrive. 

    Your U-Pass allows you to use all forms of public transit provided by Ottawa’s public transit provider, OC Transpo, and on the Gatineau's public transit provider, STO. Your U-Pass is covered by your student fees and can be picked up upon your arrival. For more info about the U-Pass including the opt-out process, please visit the U-Pass website.

    Starting last year, there is also a Summer U-Pass available for undergraduate or special students who are registered in 1.0+ credits at any point in the summer term or designated full-time graduate students.

  • What is my Carleton Email?

    You can sign up for your Carleton email account and MyCarletonOne Account on Carleton Central. Your Carleton Email will be the university’s official means of communicating with you. Your MyCarletonOne Account will be the username and password that you use to access Carleton’s IT resources such as wifi on campus, Brightspace, computers in the computer labs and much more.

  • What is PASS?

    Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) provides great supplemental sessions to help you learn the material from your tougher classes. Check out the links to see if your classes are supported and to find out what PASS is all about.

  • What is Health and Counselling Services?

    Carleton does have health, counselling, and prescription pick-up available on campus for students to use. Find out more information about it at Health and Counselling.

    Students are automatically opted in to and pay for the CUSA health plan that provides extended health, dental and vision benefits. You can read more here.

    International students are automatically opted in to and pay for UHIP, which is similar to OHIP, as well as the CUSA health plan. You can read more here.

  • What Mental Health Resources are available to students?

    Taking care of your mental health is a very important part of succeeding in your undergrad studies. Luckily, there are many resources both on- and off-campus that you can take advantage of.

  • On-Campus

    Health and Counselling Services: 613-520-6674

    • Call to make an appointment with a counsellor. This service is included in your student fees!
    • Located in 2600 CTTC

    Residence Counselling and Wellness: 613-520-2600 ext. 8061

    • A satellite office of Health and Counselling Services, open exclusively to Carleton students living in residence (September to April)
    • Call to make an appointment or visit them during walk-in appointment hours (Monday to Friday between 1:00-2:30PM)
    • Located in 131 Renfrew Building (on the main floor, close to the rear entrance)

    From Intention to Action (FIT: Action): 613-520-2600 ext. 1028

    • This program supports undergraduate and graduate students to better manage stress and improve their academic performance, by navigating the personal stressors that can often get in the way of school
    • Opportunity to meet 1-on-1 with a Coordinator for 1 hour every week for 12 consecutive weeks
    • Call or email to make an appointment (fitaction [at]
    • Located in 407 MacOdrum Library

    Mental Health and Well-Being Carleton

    • Provides a Wellness Service Navigator designed to assist students in discovering the valuable tools and resources to understand, manage, and improve your mental health and well-being while at university

    Sexual Assault Support Services: 613-520-5622

    • A centre that listens, provides resources and works with you to choose the best option for you. You have access to this service, whether the sexual violence happened on- or off-campus
    • Services are free, confidential, and available to all students, staff and faculty at Carleton
    • Located in Equity Services, 3800 CTTC

    Carleton University Students' Association (CUSA) Service Centres

    Centre for Indigenous Support & Community Engagement

    • Welcomes and supports Indigenous peoples who work and study at Carleton University as students, faculty and professional services staff
    • Ojigkwanong Indigenous Student Centre: Located in 228 Paterson Hall

    International Student Services Office: 613-520-6600

    • Provides support for international students by means of peer mentoring, immigration support, money management, social and cultural activities, UHIP, and counselling
    • Health and Counselling also offers same day appointments available on Mondays with International Student Counsellor, Berak Hussain. Call (613) 520-6674 to book an appointment
    • Located in 128 Nideyinàn

    Paul Menton Centre: 613-520-6608

    • Coordinates academic accommodations and support services for students with disabilities, including accommodations for learning disabilities and mental illness
    • Located in 501 Nideyinàn
  • Off-Campus


    Good2Talk: 1-866-925-5454

    • Free, confidential helpline providing professional counselling, information, and referrals for mental health, addictions and well-being to post-secondary students in Ontario, 24/7/365
    • English and French services

    Mental Health Crisis Line: Within Ottawa: 613-722-6914, Outside Ottawa: 1-866-996-0991

    • Trained professionals are available to answer your call 24/7 in times of need including difficulty dealing with stress, overwhelming feelings, symptoms of depression, anxiety or psychosis, suicidal thoughts, or any concerns regarding your mental health or that of your loved ones
    • English and French services

    Distress Centre Ottawa and Region: 613-238-3311

    • Free, confidential helpline providing emotional support and encouragement, crisis management & intervention, suicide risk assessment and prevention, and community resource/referral information
    • English services only

    Ottawa Rape Crisis Centre: 613-562-2333

    • Provides service 24 hours, 7 days a week to survivors of sexual violence, supporters, family and friends of survivors
    • English services only

    Centre d’Aide et de Lutte Contre les Agressions à Caractére Sexuel: 819-538-4554 ou 1-855-538-4554

    • Un organisme féministe, géré et opéré par et pour les femmes. Dans ses revendications pour la justice sociale, il dénonce les agressions à caractère sexuel et lutte pour l’égalité et les droits des femmes. Il offre une multitude de services aux femmes survivantes et il s’engage activement à la prévention et la sensibilisation dans la communauté
    • Service en français

    Tel-Aide Outaouais: 613-741-6433 ou 1-800-567-9699

    • Un service d’écoute téléphonique en français aux personnes qui ont besoin d’une oreille, qui nécessitent du soutien ou de références
    • Service en français

    Lesbian Gay Bi Trans Youth Line: 1-800-268-9688 or text 647-694-4275

    • A Queer, Trans, Two-Spirit youth-led organization that affirms and supports the experiences of youth (29 and under) across Ontario by:
      • Providing anonymous peer support and referrals;
      • Training youth to provide support to other youth; and
      • Providing resources so youth can make informed decisions

    Youth Services Bureau – Crisis Hotline - 613-260-2360

    • Offers housing, employment, youth justice and youth health services, 24 hours a day 7 days a week
    • Service in English and French

    Native Youth Crisis Hotline: 1-877-209-1266

    • 24 hours a day, 7 days a week crisis line for Indigenous youth
    • Available for residents of Canada and the United States

    Naseeha Muslim Youth Helpline: 1-866-627-3342

    • Confidential youth helpline by trained counsellors for young Muslims to receive immediate, anonymous, and confidential support over the phone available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week


    The Walk-in Counselling Clinic:

    • Counselling services in English, French, Arabic, Spanish, Somali, Cantonese and Mandarin at a variety of different locations. Clinic hours are available at different locations throughout the week, including evenings and weekends
    • No referral and no appointment required. You will be assisted on a first-come, first-serve basis during clinic hours
    • Trained professional counsellors who can provide services to individuals, couples, and families on a very wide range of issues
    • This service is FREE
    • Locations all over Ottawa

    Youth Services Bureau - Mental Health Services – Youth Walk-in Clinic

    • Are you having problems with a relationship, or a recent break-up? Too much fighting at home? Struggling with questions of sexual or gender identity? The Youth Mental Health Walk-in Clinic offers single counselling sessions for youth whose needs are more immediate
    • Counselling for youth ages 12 to 20, and their parents
    • English and French
    • This service is FREE
    • Located at 2301 Carling Ave
      • Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 12 noon to 8 pm (last session is at 6 pm)
      • 613-260-2360 (24/7 Crisis Line)
      • 613-562-3004 (Walk-In Clinic)

    Family Services Ottawa

    • Offers a wide range of counselling services and programs for teens, adults, couples, and families who are struggling with their mental health, including LGBTTQ+ support, an art studio for artists struggling with mental illness, mental health programs, and one-on-one walk-in and by appointment counselling
    • Located at 312 Parkdale Avenue
      • 613-725-3601 ext. OTTY

    Mental Health & Addiction Services of Ottawa

    • Offers a range of counselling by appointment and group sessions for mental health and addiction issues
    • Drop-in for group sessions open to the public or call to make an appointment
    • Some programs (SMART recovery meetings for addiction and addictive behaviours) are free of charge
    • Counselling services offering appointments with psychologists and therapists are on a charge per hour basis
    • Located at 1489 Merivale Rd Unit 200
      • 613-225-7272

    Therapists in Ottawa

    • A list of psychologists and therapists in Ottawa
    • Not free, can be costly (~$110-170/hour)

    Pinecrest-Queensway Community Health Centre

    • Provides client-centered individual treatment, support and rehabilitation to residents of the Ottawa region with severe and persistent mental illness including system navigation, case-by-case support, and violence against women support
    • Located at 1365 Richmond Road, 2nd floor

    Ottawa Hospital Mental Health Social Work Services

    • Social workers offer counselling, support, and information on:
      • Parenting concerns
      • Relationships
      • Coping with Grief or Illness
      • Managing Anger or Stress
      • Practical problem-solving (e.g: housing, finances, elder care)
      • Anxiety disorders
      • Depression and self-esteem
    • To book an appointment, contact the Hospital Front Desk:
      • General Campus: 613-737-8600
      • Civic Campus: 613-798-5555 ext. 16002
  • What Services are there for International Students?

    There are two important points of contact for international students – International Admissions and Recruitment and the International Student Services Office. International Admissions and Recruitment works with international students on getting admitted to Carleton and receiving transfer or other credits for classes they have already taken. The ISSO handles pretty much everything else and has specific support for new international students at

  • Where can you get parking or a locker on campus?

    You can order a parking permit and reserve a locker online through Parking Services. Then you can pick up the permit when you arrive on campus. The student parking permit rates are posted here.

  • What Services are there for Students with Visible and Non-Visible Disabilities?

    Students that require academic accommodations for disabilities must register with Paul Menton Centre for Students with Disabilities in order to receive accommodations.

  • Where can I get my textbooks?

    You can order your textbooks online through The Bookstore and avoid the lines when classes begin. Carleton also offers a textbook rental program through the bookstore.

  • Where can I do my banking on Campus?

    Scotiabank has a fully operational branch and five ABM locations across campus. For more information, visit banking on campus.

  • Additional Resources

Search Carleton