Kick-Start into Science: First-Year Science Accelerator
First-year university students can easily become overwhelmed by the “new” – new campus, new people, new approaches to teaching and learning, new hands-on experiences, and new opportunities. Join the First-Year Science Accelerator series and beat the information learning curve.
In these series, you will:
- Meet future friends, study partners, mentors, and motivators
- Learn about expectations of first-year professors in Science
- Explore different study techniques for different subjects (biology, chemistry, math and physics)
- Review the requirements for writing biology, chemistry and physics lab reports
- Learn how to set goals that inspire you to act and achieve
- Find out how to use a syllabus, manage your time, and create a schedule or calendar
- Get involved on and off campus
- Learn how to study, how to take notes, and how to memorize effectively
- Learn approaches to study for Science midterms and exams
First-Year Science Accelerator will be led by SSSC mentors. These leaders have experienced a lot of what Carleton has to offer including research, volunteering, student organizations, and overcoming obstacles. They will share their knowledge and get you started on the right foot!
Accessing First-Year Science Accelerator
Kick-Start is currently available to all students on cuLearn. To access it click SSSC Online Resources under Fall 2020 Courses. First-Year Science Accelerator will be available on Brightspace starting Fall 2021.
The Medical School Preparation series will run the first four weeks in the Fall Semesters. Workshops will take place Monday from 11:30am to 12:30pm on September 13th, 20th, 27th and October 4th.
Registration for First-Year Science Accelerator will open August 2021.