Registration is now closed for Winter 2017
Kick-Start into Science is a workshop series designed to help you learn everything you need to know about a particular theme in a short amount of time. After a successful run in the fall, we are offering the Medical School Preparation workshop series again in the winter semester. Weekly workshops will be held in January and February; there will be no workshops after winter break (February 20-24th).
Medical School Preparation
Are you passionate about attending medical school after university? The best medical school applicants start laying the groundwork for their application during their first year at university. The Medical School Preparation series will give you access to insider information from students who are applying to medical school, current medical students, and medical professionals who work in the health care industry who can help make your application stand out.
In this series, you will:
- Meet other students who are interested in medical school - find study partners, motivators and friends
- Understand medical school admission requirements and how they vary from school to school
- Know how to leverage your involvement during university to build a strong autobiographical sketch
- Gather tips for getting into medical school from current applicants and current medical students
- Begin the process of building a network for creating solid references
- Learn about the MCAT and how to prepare for it
- Find out about professions in health care outside of being a medical doctor
- Participate in mock med school interviews to gain knowledge about the skills and traits medical schools consider
- Get Co-Curricular Record (CCR) credit for attending four or more Kick-Start workshops or designated SSSC events related to health care
The workshops will be led by Mustafa and Katie, two incredible upper-year students who are preparing to apply to medical school. A current medical student from the University of Ottawa and former SSSC mentor will serve as a Medical School Advisor for students in the series. We have also partnered with Altitude: Healthcare Mentoring, an organization that pairs first-year undergraduate students who are interested in medical school with current medical students, to give each student in the series an opportunity to be paired one-on-one with a current medical student.
Workshops will be held on Tuesdays from 4:00 to 5:00 pm in the Science Student Success Centre (3431 Herzberg Laboratories) on January 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st, and February 7th and 14th.
Registration is now closed for Winter 2017.